Pages

Monday 12 March 2012

Pat-a-cake, Pat-a-cake, Baker's Man...

My late Nana, Thelma Doris was forever making scones. I spent a lot of time at her place as a child and to commence each visit our ritual went something like this: Nana would say "Shall we make some scones dear?" and I'd nod, wide eyed in agreement and anticipation while following her toward the back of the house to a dark poky kitchen. There we'd huddle around the small formica topped table where she'd mix and knead lightly... I'm not sure I partook in much of the actual making part, however I vividly remember the result: a warm batch of lightly crusted scones wrapped in a clean tea towel.
It wasn't until recently that my love for scones really came about and I learned while on a trip back to my home land that Nana used to make her scones with lemonade. (My four-year-old was very impressed by this little factoid due to his current infatuation with the stuff.) So I've been very busy experimenting and investigating and made these over the weekend:


Lemonade Scones with Dates

The recipe is:
2 cups self raising flour
1 tsp mixed spice
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup lemonade
Bake at 220 degrees for 10 mins

The things I love about scones (apart from their taste) is that they are super quick, extremely easy to make, can be very healthy - made with wholemeal flour sans lemonade! And you normally have all the ingredients on-hand (for a simple version anyway) to make a batch when needed... Which for me is most mornings!

Scone tips:
+cook close together to help rise
+don't over handle
+pat the dough lightly - instead of kneading
+wrap in tea towel when cooked to give thin soft crust
+although wholemeal is a healthy option I find that white flour seems to produce a lighter scone...


So Nana, where ever you may be, I hope you're watching... Because I know how thrilled you'd be to see that all that scone making finally rubbed off...



Linking up with Jodie The Haby Goddess

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure all of our nanas are watching over us mighty pleased we were paying attention for all those years and we are now carrying on all their wonderful traditions.
    Thank you so much for playing along this week xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to master scones lately (seems appropriate with a recent move to the country). I've never tried lemonade ones so I'll have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete